We had quite a bit of leftover chicken from smoking two whole chickens, so I decided to make chicken salad with some of it. I used mainly the white meat for chicken salad. I wanted to complement the smoky flavor of the chicken so I went with a kind of sweet, spicy, smoky combo. We served ours on a whole wheat English muffin, but you could use whatever bread strikes your fancy.
Sweet and Spicy Chicken Salad
- About two cups chicken meat (I used breast and wing meat), picked off the bone and roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries (Craisins)
- 3 green onions, sliced thin
- 2 heaping tablespoons homemade mayo
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder (or some type of smokey chili powder)
- 1 teaspoon hot red chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
Mix chicken, green onions, pecans, and dried cranberries. In a small bowl, combine mayo, both chili powders, and sugar. Mix mayo into chicken mixture and season with salt and pepper. Serve on bread of your choice.