I eat Caprese salads pretty regularly in the summer – probably about once per week, especially when we are getting tons of tomatoes from our garden. We had all the fixings for it the other day, but I was craving pasta (I seriously think I may have a pasta addiction), so I decided to combine the two, and it it worked out great!
- 1 pound pasta (I used orecchiette)
- about 3 cups chopped tomatoes (I used a mix of different types and sizes – big tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, yellow tomatoes, whatever we had)
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup good quality olive oil
- several splashes balsamic vinegar
- several big pinches salt and freshly cracked pepper
Cook pasta in salted boiling water until al dente. In meantime, combine tomatoes, mozzarella, olive oil, and some of the salt and pepper. Once pasta is cooked, drain and let sit for just a few minutes so not quite so hot. After its cooled just a bit, add pasta to bowl with tomatoes. Add in the balsamic vinegar, basil, and any more salt or pepper needed for seasoning. Give it all a big stir and serve.